Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Weirdo Club

I've been stuck trying to think about what to write, as my faithful (hopefully) readers are champing at the bit for something new, brilliant, witty, and utterly me.

So many things, and yet nothing at all.

Kinda weird.

Yet, that's what makes musicians (and writers and actors and other artists) who and what we are.

Above everything else, we're weirdos.

Societal misfits.

Not exactly cut from the same cloth as so many people seemingly are. We'd never make it in the 9-5, 2 weeks a year off, grind like most folks do.

Of course, we give up things like health care and home ownership in the process, but so be it. To us (to me, anyways) it's sort of a fair trade. We get to do what we do (and let's face it, I don't know what you do to get by, but I'm sure you do it better than anyone else) and that's that.

Sometimes, though, the work involved in being a musician (artist, et al) actually makes me kinda lazy. Right now, I have a lot to do, a lot to be done, and yet I feel very inclined to do none of it.

Things like sending emails to festival coordinators. Reminders to "fans" that there are shows coming up. Adding people to various "lists".

Practicing (ahem.)

It's so easy to NOT practice. Jeez.

A luxury and a curse, being among the self/un-employed.

Weirdos are we.

At least we're in good company though. David Bowie is certainly a weirdo. Ditto for Jackson Pollock. James Brown, too.

Michael Jackson was definitely a weirdo.

Bob Dylan has created an entire genre of music. It's not rock, it's not blues, it's not folk. He was given a Pulitzer Prize in a category created just for him because he didn't fit in any single category, and if anyone deserves to "win" a Pulitzer, it's Dylan.

Weirdo.

So where am I going with this?

Oh, yeah. What to do with the time in my struggle for blogging ideas. Well, it's very simple. Since we are the lowest paid of public servants (of course we are, in the truest sense), I suggest that we all make our own salad dressing. I saw an article (an entire article! Can you friggin' believe it?) in today's Sun-Times espousing the virtues of DIY salad dressing. It actually saves you a lot of bread. I encourage you to do it. I've been doing it for years.

Did he just give advice about salad dressing?

Weirdo.

So it goes...

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you're a weirdo. I happen to think you're a very gifted, talented man living out your passions and working towards your dreams. Granted, there is bit of a uniqueness that surrounds you and all of those before you, but that is what makes you remembered. "weirdo" is hardly an analogy that should be used to describe you or anyone else that has or had made the same choices you have made. I think the word expressionist is a better term.

    By the way... I love the Salad Dressing analogy. My Aunt just sent me a similar story about the "Salad Dressing of Life".

    ReplyDelete